Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"I forgot, you're stupid"

I deal with a lot of stupid people.
I know that sounds mean and maybe it is.
Maybe these people are just having stupid moments.
Heaven knows I've had mine but with the sheer number of stupid questions that come in day after day after day it's really hard not to think that people are generally just stupid.

I had terrifyingly stupid moment once.
It's something that I try to forget about just because of how stupid it really was.
Unfortunately, I was reminded of it on Friday when I went to take my car in for it's emissions and safety inspection...

It was a cold day in March of 2009, my car was dead because the battery was so old that the plug thingies (yes, that is the technical term) that hooked onto the battery had corroded and broke into several different pieces. Obviously I couldn't drive my car so I took the day off to have a tow truck take my car to my local dealership to get it fixed.
My mom had left me her car so that I could run errands while my car was being worked on. My appointment was early in the morning, I believe 8 or 8:30 which meant I was in my pajamas. Why? Because I am very fond of them and take a great deal of delight in wearing them, especially on days when I would otherwise be wearing slacks, heels and a button up shirt.
Moving on...
I rode with the tow truck over to the dealership, I checked my car in, left my keys with the office guy and caught a ride back home with one of their shuttle vans. When I was getting out of the van I told the guy not to bother coming back for me since my mom was going to take me once she got off work. As I watched the guy drive off I realized that I had left my keys with the office guy. Not just my car keys but my house keys and my mom's car keys. I also realized that we still hadn't decided on a hiding place for a spare set of house keys.
I was locked out of my house.
In the cold.
In my pajamas.
I called my mom who laughed at me.
Not just laughed but guffawed... for a really long time.
I called my brother who also laughed and told me I was "smart".
After his laughter subsided a little I asked him if there was anyway he or his wife TL could pick me up and take me to mom's work to get her spare set of keys. He asked me why I couldn't just walk there (it's about a mile from our house) and I told him I felt embarrassed walking downtown in my pajamas.
He laughed even more.
I tried not to cry because I felt so so SO stupid.
Especially when everyone was laughing at me.
Then I called my mom's visiting teacher who laughed just a little and said she'd be by to pick me up in a few minutes. I was so grateful to her. Not just because she picked me up but because she didn't laugh at me, at least not when I was within hearing distance.


Now that, ladies and gents is my big stupid moment. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing, but who cares, right?


Don't forget to to leave a comment in order to win some cookies!!!!
The giveaway ends on Thursday at 7:00 PM mountain time.





*kloveyabye*



PS
In retrospect I realized that I could have saved all of that humiliation if I had simply called the dealership and had them come pick me up again.
doh!!!


PSS
Evidently the baby picture of my mom in the previous post really isn't my mom. It's a picture of one of her friends from High School. I told her I was leaving on here until she gave me one of her. That was 3 days ago. I don't think she cares too much.


1 comments:

Judy Garrett

I care, I just haven't wanted to search in the cold basement for extremely old photos of me :-)

Love ya, Bubba.